Ordinal numbers. We practiced ordinal numbers using the little pets again.
- Used shaving cream to practice making letter shapes.
- Cut out a simple umbrella shape for letter sound u and for weather studies.
- Shayla made an unhappy face when I said a letter u sound word
- Made our own bubble solution. Tried it first without the corn syrup, but added it to make better bubbles.
- We used various objects to make bubbles. Square wands, clothes hangers, etc. Learned that bubbles can only be round
- Learned that hand speed moving the wand and strength of blowing effects the size and amount of bubbles.
- Read Veggie Tales: Pa Grape's Shapes by Phil Vischer.
- Shayla practiced drawing shapes on the whiteboard. Then she was allowed to make silly pictures using all the shapes together.
- Cut out various construction paper shapes and glued them onto paper. She wrote each shape's name beneath.
We learned about several countries of the world. These covered language, geography, social studies, and gross/fine motor skills.
- Located Italy on the globe.
- Read a book about Italy and it's festivals.
- We discussed the carnival mask that we made during last year's summer reading.
- Listened to an Italian music CD.
- Located Japan on the globe. Discussed what borders it. Used directional words.
- Read a book about Japan and it's festivals.
- We played a fun game using chopsticks. Shayla used chopsticks to get plastic jewels out of uncooked rice.
- Listened to a Japanese music CD.
Just the daily basics. The weather was just too nice and the attention span of Shayla and her teacher was just too short!
This ends the first curriculum that we tried and quit, but then went back to. Next week we will start mini-literature based unit studies for a while for a change of pace and fun!