Thursday, May 21, 2009

What Do You Do With Extra Toiletries?

When I used to CVS shop, I obtained alot of stuff for free. It didn't make sense to my husband, but he went along with it because I was spending less and getting alot. I was spending about 1/10 of the CVS price.


Now I have a diabetic testing meter, boxes of aspirin, and other items that we don't use. We don't know anyone in our immediate family or circle of friends that would use these either.


I know some sell excess products and such at yard sales, but I don't think I'll be having one this year. I hate to keep them for very long because I know there are expiration dates on stuff like that.


Someone else said that free clinics will take them. So, finally I got around to calling a nearby free clinic. Since they see and treat people for free, it seemed like a worthwhile thing to donate to. However, after calling and being transferred several times, I was finally told that since the clinic now accepts federal funding, they can no longer take private donations even if they were unopened.


Well, HUMPH to you, too!


They suggested I call nursing homes to take them. I don't want to donate to nursing homes, which also receive federal money. I also don't have time to call around and drive around all day looking for somewhere to donate my free stuff. DUH!


I want the things to be a blessing to someone. Does anyone have any other suggestions where I could donate this stuff? Who would have thought it would be so hard to give something away!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

could you set them up at church on a table with a sign that read "free" or "Please take me home"? Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

I'm giving some of my excess items to kids in a local college dorm.