Jessica Hulcy, co-author of Konos was in a terrible car accident Monday. The family is in urgent need of prayer, so please take a moment and pray for the family.
Jessica's Ford Explorer was broadsided in Melissa, TX about 11:30 on Monday morning. Apparently she was broadsided by a volunteer brush fire pump truck, responding to an emergency call. He was traveling between 50-60 mph and carrying 3,500 pounds of water
After a 25 minute extrication process she was Life Flighted as a Level 1 (the most severe) trauma case to Parkland Hospital in Dallas. She is still in critical condition.
Here is what we know so far:
1. She is still unconscious but is moving all four limbs andattempting to pull the tubes out of her throat which is encouraging to the doctors.
2. Major Lung trauma, punctures to both lungs. Both were collapsed. One is now working well and they are still draining the other. Doctors are checking for possible damage to wind pipe and trachea.
3. Head trauma. Medium amounts of blood on the brain. Closely monitoring this to see if it improves. Surgery not necessary now, but possible to come.
4. As of now multiple broken ribs on both sides, broken left wrist,broken left arm in 2 places. Will require surgery. Possible broken left leg and right wrist. She has undergone 4 hrs of X-rays, over 1000 X-rays taken so far. They are working the broken bones in the order of most lifethreatening so there is a possibility of more discovery of broken bones.
One of the things they are very concerned about right now is that Jessica is exhibiting cognitive regression and is no longer able to hold up two fingers on command as she was doing this morning. They are hoping to do an MRI later this evening.
As of Tuesday evening, Wade Hulcy writes: Jessica is stabilized and resting. Prayers for Wednesday are
1) reducing the pressure on the brain and starting to respond to stimulus,
2) pray for a good report from the MRI Wednesday afternoon,
3) pray for the placement of a cast being put on the upper arm. She will continue to be watched carefully and we will know more by the weekend. Prayers of a righteous man avail much, so keep on praying.
This will be a VERY long process.
To follow Jessica's progress, her family has set up this website: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jessicahulcy/journal. You have to create a profile, but then you can check for updates in her condition and the family's prayer needs. There is also a guestbook to sign.
Lets help out a longtime member of our homeschooling family. If you have never heard of Konos, visit their website and consider a purchase. Konos is the granddaddy of unit studies and homeschooling. The hands-on style in their curriculum is known for making homeschooling your lifestyle.