Thursday, April 2, 2009

Homeschool Highlights - Week of March 30, 2009

Days 136 - 140




Sorry, not many pictures this week. I have been busy with my spring cleaning.




I've been trying to put some fun back into our homeschool. It's getting boring for both of us.




I'm trying to sit down weekly and make up lesson plans to finish up what needs to get done for the year.




Math: The worksheet had fruits on it, so Shayla sorted her plastic fruits from her kitchen set. We counted them, then she used them as counters for her addition and subtraction problems on her worksheet. Then, instead of the usual, daily struggle to write or trace numbers. Shayla used number rubber stampers to put the answers. We got this worksheet done in record time! She spends so much time trying to form the numbers.




Review counting. We reviewed counting by 1's, 2's, 5's and 10's. I read aloud The Skip Count Book, The Crayola Counting Book, and The Ants Go Marching. We did several dot-to-dots and math games here.




Unfortunately, she forgot alot of counting! UGH!




Review Patterns. Read I See Patterns and The Pattern Book. Used blocks to make patterns.






Review Shapes. Read I See Shapes. Shayla played with her shape sorter toy. This is the first time ever that she was able to put the shapes in without difficulty. Then we talked about the different textures on the plastic shape pieces and sides of the shape sorter. We did crayon rubbings of the textures and also on several coins. I had Shayla practice drawing a circle, square and triangle. She is still unable to do this independently, so I think I'll give her daily practice until she can do it better.




Language: Singular and Plural Nouns. I explained it, she didn't get it. So, I made boxes out of her paper and wrote a singular word. She used sponge shapes to paint one object in each box. Then she added an "s" to the word and was allowed to stamp multiple objects in each box.




I know it seems silly, but that's all it took for her to "get it."





Spelling: Fingerspelled her spelling words in ASL.




Writing: Working on Badge 2.




Science: Spring. Looked for signs of spring. We went outside and took a photo of her in the same spot I do every season so we can make a season book. We checked out the buds on different trees, the lilac bushes, the bulbs starting to poke out of the ground.






Leaves. We read books about leaves.




Trees. Read books about trees. And Dad and Shayla transplanted this tree from our woods. We're hoping that we can transplant many more!







Phys Ed: Lots and lots of fresh air and sunshine!





Reading/Phonics: We finished up the first Abeka book, Fun With Pets. We are taking a break from these and going to read the Bob books and another set that is easier.




Art: We made paper daffodills. I didn't get a picture of this. Basically I drew a star shape and made some stems and leaves. Shayla cut out the stars and glued cupcake papers onto the middle.

We also learned about neutral colors and did page 5 of our art book. Again, I found black and white cartoon images on Google image to use. She watercolor painted these. I used these because I didn't want her to become discouraged from not being able to draw her own.


Social Skills: We attended the last Kings Kids for this year. They won't meet again until next fall.





Supplemented with lots of educational games, movies, and play this week!

No comments: