Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Homeschool Days 28, 29, 30,31 & 32 - A Week in Review

Homeschool Day 28 – Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Field trip!!! In honor of Fire Safety Week, we went with our local homeschool group to the Fire Museum.


Homeschool Day 29 – Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Shayla really enjoyed the Fire Museum trip. She pretended to be a fireman all evening after her trip. So I put together some fire related activities for her to do today. I’m sure I could have come up with more if I had planned to do this, but we’re just going with it!

She pretended like the stick was her fire hose.

We also did Pumpkin Science activities here. We really liked the measuring and weighing of pumpkins. And of course, our favorite was cleaning the slime out of a pumpkin and roasting the seeds!

Homeschool Day 30 – Thursday, October 16, 2008

Field Trip!!! We went to the local livestock auction (looking to buy a milk goat). Unfortunately, I forgot my camera.

We were kind of concerned that Shayla would not like the sights, sounds and smells of the place. After all, I think the smells alone could overload anyone’s senses, let alone someone with Sensory Processing Disorder. We were pleasantly pleased at her reaction. She laughed during the auction. The whole thing was funny to her. The sound of the auctioneer, the helper calling out, the livestock being “spanked” with a shaker-style rattle, and the animals running around the arena while people bidded on them.

*Note to self: I think I need help. I seriously wanted to bid on animals that we had no intention of buying. It was just the thrill of the auction. No more ebaying for me!!!

After the auction, we went around the barn. We were able to pet the cutest milk calves. Shayla even liked when the babies mooed.


Homeschool Day 31 – Friday, October 17, 2008

Field trip!!! After dad’s dr appt, we went to Whole Foods. Today was just a discussion day. We talked about everything from fall changes to nutrition to culture. It was a great day! Afterwards, we snuggled and read together!


Homeschool Day 32 – Monday, October 20, 2008

Scouts at Home (social studies): We are still working on her career badge. We read books about being a musician. We talked about the different groups of instruments
(percussion, woodwind, brass). Then we had fun playing with Shayla’s box of instruments. She said she does not want to be a musician when she grows up. (I thought there might be a chance, since she has always loved music!)



Science: We continued talking about plants and roots. She completed several workbook pages about this subject.

Phys Ed/Math/Reading: We seem to do our best work on the trampoline. Today I spelled number words out loud. Shayla identified the word I spelled, then we did something that number of times (ie: jump one time on one foot). We had a lot of fun doing this and I was surprised that she actually knew the words.

Music & Movement: We still had wiggles after the last activity, so we listened and did movements to several Dr. Jean songs. Don’t know about Dr. Jean yet? Visit her website, she has lots of activities and ways of incorporating her music into your school.

Fall Activities/Music: We sang the pumpkin songs from here.

Reading/Phonics: We practiced the Bob Books again. By golly, I think she is actually reading them! Then I did an idea that I read somewhere. I made a black and white copy of the first book. She colored the pages. She was sooo proud of her coloring and being able to read “her” book. She read it to Morgan, Dad, and Grandma last night. I also wrote the letters from book 1 and the clue words on the board. She drew a line matching them. Then I wrote the –at words, -am words, and sight words: on, the, end. SHE READ THEM ALL!

No comments: