Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Here Comes Shayla the Menace

Dennis the Menace is one of our family's all-time favorite movies! If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend you go to your nearest library and get it, or buy it, it's one your family will be sure to watch again and again (and again . . . and again)oh, sorry.

Anyway, in the movie there is a scene where Dennis is in the bathtub. He has his little plastic army men lined up on the side of the tub. He is "shooting" them down with water.

My little darling decided that this looked like the funnest thing in the whole world to do, however, me being the plan spoiler that I am, said,

"Uh-uh, no way, you are not shooting water all over my bathroom."

Explanation: We have a sunken whirlpool tub, not a regular bathtub. The water would seep down into my grout and under flooring.

Since I have a hard time saying no to anything my little darling wants to do, we took this idea outside. She lined the little plastic army men up on the deck step. She used an empty dishsoap bottle filled with water as a watergun.

Ready!


Aim!
Fire!
Look at that face! She looks so serious about this!

Now I know you're thinking that's not the usual learn through play stuff that I like, but wait, she is using her hand muscles to squeeze the water. She is using hand/eye coordination to knock the guys down. She is also using fine motor skills to set the guys back up. See it is educational!

We did a mini-unit study on carnival games after reading Dora at the Carnival book. This is one of the games we included.

Are you doing any fun stuff with your kids, now that school has started?

No comments: