Worship services. We all enjoyed and took much from the message about humility, gentleness, and patience.
Learning Games: Played Dora memory matching card game. Mom won with 19 matches to Shayla's 17.
Today we watched Lassie. We used the movie to discuss many social/character traits such as: love, honesty, forgiveness, etc. In the end, she really enjoyed the movie!
- Reviewed definition of compound words, then identified words in the story.
- And of course, Shayla's favorite, take a nice, leasurely bath, just like King Bidgood (although, not as long!)
4H meeting. Planning for fair booth. We have not attended a meeting in quite awhile, and Shayla was back to her old habits of covering her ears. :(
- Rhythm and expression. The book was a variation of the song.
- Discussed onomatopoeia - words that imitate sounds, like squish, or buzz. Identified examples of onomatopoeia in the story.
- Used teddy bears to demonstrate location/directional oppositional words (over-under, in-out, on-off, above-below)
- hopscotch (phys ed)
- Jumping contest. Use chalk to mark how far each person can jump, then measure (math, measurements)
- Hit the Spot. Draw a circle in the middle of the playing field. Bounce a tennis ball in the circle. Another player catches ball, or you can bounce it against a wall. Player is out when they do not bounce ball in the spot. (movement, eye/hand co-ordination)
- Literature Based Unit Study: Heckedy Peg by Audrey Wood.
- Review contractions. Identified contractions in the book and told what words made up the shortened word. Discussed what letters were omitted when the word was shortened.
- The names of the children in this story are the days of the week. We sang Dr. Jean's Days of the Week song and practiced writing out the days of the week. *Note to self: Need to review capitalization rules.
- Comprehension: How did the mother guess which foods the witch had turned her children into?
- Character trait: Obedience. How would the story have changed if the children would have obeyed their mother?
- I made up an awesome worksheet for this. I used Google image to make the foods the children asked the mother to get and the foods the children were turned into. She was going to cut them out and glue them on a paper. In between, she would write the name of the child (Sunday, Monday, etc) BUT, my printer was giving me issues and when I was working on those, my computer restarted and all my hard work was GONE! UGH!
Attended Morgan's first football game of the season. I plan on making it to more games this year since she is a senior. :/