Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Brain Lock - OCD


After we received the diagnosis of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) for Shayla, I wanted to learn more about it, as well as, get treatment ideas that we could do with her at home.

I picked up Brain Lock:  Free Yourself from Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior by Jeffrey M. Schwartz, MD at the library.


Reading this book made me a little uncomfortable.  Why?  Well, I learned that the apple didn't fall far from the tree.  In fact, maybe Shayla's behavior was either genetic or learned from US! 

Here are the areas that convicted me and made me feel uncomfortable:

List making is a sign of OCD.

What!?!  I need to make lists!  Grocery lists, to do lists (today, in a month, in a year, and someday), meal planning lists, homeschool plans, homeschool curriculum I want to try, websites to check out.  So organization is OCD!  Ok, I'll try to live more spontaneously.

Hoarding stuff is a sign of OCD.

Honestly, I'm not hoarding anything!  I just haven't found the time to declutter.  So like many with the New Year I am starting off on a decluttering frenzy!  Hopefully, the habit continues from here on out.

Seriously, after reading this and then watching some show on tv about hoarding.  I've decided that I need to make time to purge items we no longer need.  I am trying to include Shayla in on this because I think she needs to see that there doesn't need to be an emotional attachment to every object we own, but it's been hard.  I tend to sneak her items in the donate or trash boxes without her knowledge.  She just sees the boxes go.

When doing this, I explain that when we have less stuff, we have more time for fun.  I don't have to move it or clean it.  We have more time to go outside and play. 

Shameless, but it works!

I hope to be able to post my progress to keep me accountable to MYSELF. 

Is decluttering one of your  New Year resolutions?  Have you started?  Do you have any tips to share? 

No comments: