Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Date Your Food


No sillies, you're not going to take your food out bowling or to the movies!
I mean write a date on your new food as you bring it into your home!
This might seem like a no-brainer to some, but I must be a what would you say, slow-learner.
As we were building a nice stockpile of dry goods, boxed foods, and canned foods I realized that I had no idea which things were oldest - that I should use up first. (Oh, and I also had to throw away several jars of organic mayo because it went past expiration, and looked really nasty).
Now if I were Martha Stewart and this were a perfect world, I would (and my family)would move the oldest packages to the front and the new to the back. Yeah, right, I'm doing good to get stuff put away! So, right when I bring it home from the grocery, I take a sharpie marker and write the purchase date on the package.
For more kitchen tips, visit Tammy's Recipes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't put dates on my food, I just rotate each week, bringing the old to the front and putting the new in the back. something well learned during my years of working fast food :) Great Tip!

Calina said...

I tried to rotate, too, but when my hubby and kids help to put things away (or get things out for meals). It seems things get out of order.

DocMisty said...

I know - I hate when I do all the work to make extra and freeze a meal, only to find it buried at the bottom of the chest freezer encrusted with ice while I wonder if it's edible. Hey, thanks for adding my blog to your list - it's great to get to know other homeschoolers out there! Let me know if there's any topic you'd like to see on my blog.

Misty
www.HomeschoolBytes.com

whitneyingram said...

This is a good reminder for me. I try and keep a full year's supply of food and it can be easy to let it get unorganized. And Doc Misty, for sure nothing is more disappointing that letting a freezer meal go to waste!!!