Saturday, July 26, 2008

There's a Nighmare in my Closet Unit Studies

We completed another mini-unit study. This one was on monsters from There's a Nightmare in my Closet by Mercer Mayer.

First, we did some spelling by using letter magnets to make the word monster.

Then, we did an art project. We sharpened crayons and made a melted crayon nightmare.
I don't have a photo of the finished project, but Shayla loved the experience of unwrapping crayons, sharpening crayons, then using an iron to make the wax crayons melt together in a rainbow of colors!

Shayla colored and cut out six monsters from the Literature Activities book. Her fine motor skills are greatly improving! She then copied the word monster, only needing hand-over-hand assistance for the m and n. Then I used the monsters she cut out and hid them throughout the house. We played the hot/warm/cold directional game to find them.

For social studies, we took turns making faces at each other and the other mimicing the faces. We talked about the feelings that went with the faces (happy, sad, mad, etc.)

Time for more fun! We made our own playdough monsters! Mine is on the left. Shayla's beautiful monster creation is on the right. Aren't they lovely!

Shayla loves to "put on a show" about all she has learned for her Dad, grandma & sister.

This is the paper nightmare Shayla made.
Please don't anyone tell Shayla we're doing summer school!

No comments: