Monday, March 31, 2008

Vidalia Onion Salad Dressing Recipe

I had been purchasing Cindy's Salad Dressing at Whole Foods for $4.99/bottle. Yes, you read that right. Not only was it nearly $5/bottle, we had to travel 35 miles one way to get it at the store!

We're still working hard to get our budget into shape with this economy, so I searched the internet to find something like the dressing I have been using. Although, I didn't find exactly the right thing, I came up with this variation. It's pretty good, but a little sweeter than I like.

Vidalia Onion & Cilantro Salad Dressing

1 whole onion
6 Tbs. white vinegar
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1-1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. cilantro
1/2 tsp. dill weed
6-8 T. sugar
1/4 c. olive oil
1-1/2 tsp. mustard
Optional: 1/4 tsp. powdered vitamin c or citric acid to extend the shelf life

Peel onion, slice in half. Put in bowl with a little water and microwave until it is soft. Then add all ingredients in a blender and blend until salad dressing consistency.

Refrigerate. Makes about 2 cups.

No comments: