Saturday, June 13, 2009

Electric Usage





New! Kill-A-Watt EZ
Reg. $49.95Now Only $44.95



Reg. $34.95Now Only $29.95


I would love one of these handy little gadgets to tell how much electricity I am wasting, but the truth is, I am just too cheap to buy one. Our highest electric bill has been under $200/mo. but usually around $100 or under.


If you're like me, cheap, here are some things you can do to make your electric consumption drop.

  • We only have our hot water tank on for 15 minutes prior to bathing or dishes. The rest of the time, we shut it off at the breaker box.
  • Line drying all clothing.
  • We plug all video games, tv's, dvd players, etc. into a surge protector, then shut it off or unplug it when it's not in use. Same with the microwave and coffee pot. You'd be surprised at how much juice those little red light sensors and digital clocks need to run.
  • I try to use my oven just once a day. I also try to not use my oven at all, I like to utilize my crockpots and bread machine. They are cheaper to use than the oven.

Here's some cool information:

The Energy Information Administration found Americans use 60% more electricity today than they did 20 years ago. Some examples of the amount of energy you use and how much it costs you are in the following examples:

  • iPod Docking Station – Uses three watts charging and five when it’s playing music. This costs you a penny a day!
  • Big Screen TV – When the TV is on it can use 210 watts, when off 64. It costs you 11 cents a day just have the TV plugged in at your house!
  • Game Systems – Can use 2 watts when the system is off but uses 145 when it’s on. This costs you about one penny an hour!
  • Digital Video Recorder – This can pull 83 watts all day long. That means just having one of these plugged in the wall in your home can cost you 15 cents a day!

If you absolutely must have one of these gadgets, I found these at Edmund Scientific.

Am I missing some ways of saving on the electric bill? If you have any more ideas, please share!

No comments: