Thursday, November 20, 2008

Homeschool Day 55 - Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Where has this week gone? I can't believe it's Wednesday already!
Science: We talked about what the stem’s job is. We talked about this summer when we put a Queen Anne’s Lace flower into a cup of water with blue food coloring added. It turned the white flower blue because the stems job is to drink up the water for the plant. In the next lesson, it further demonstrated this by having her drink water from a straw. She loved it! Who knew that’s how you can get a child to actually drink water! Lastly we read the story of Jack and the Beanstalk. This was easy to get her to do, even though it was nighttime. This is her all-time favorite story!

I found a workbook from Brighter Visions Learning (I think)called How Things Grow. This is a wonderful resource to use with this. There was a page called We Eat Parts of Plants. She traced the dotted names of fruits and veggies and it told what part of the plant it was that we eat (corn-seeds, lettuce-leaf, celery-stem, carrots-roots). Then she cut out the little pages and put them in numeral order. It was a little book.

Journal: We’re really behind on the science curriculum. We were talking about stems. We read Jack and the Beanstalk. So today’s journal entry was to draw a part of the story you liked.

Scouts-at-Home: Caring & Sharing: Feelings. She made another book today – about feelings. I modified the scouts idea. Here’s what we did:

Cover: I wrote Feelings, she drew different faces.
Page 1: My best friend is ______. We like to do _________together.
Page 2: I was happy when___________.
Page 3: I was scared when____________.
Page 4: I was proud of myself when__________.
Page 5: I was mad when____________.
Page 6: I was brave when____________.
Page 7: This is what I like best about me!____________

On each page she dictated something for me to write and she drew a picture to go along with it.

Writing: Shayla traced her dotted name, Hh’s and words that begin with h. Then she wrote the h words beside the dotted ones for copy practice. Now here comes the fun that I promised her yesterday. I took an idea from her special preschool teacher and we made Rainbow Stew! (more about this in another post!)

Bible: Letter H. Reviewed verse and counted to one Hundred today. (math)

Specials: Thanksgiving. Today we spent some time at the Preschool Express site. We sang the Thanksgiving songs at the Music Station. We had quite a lot of fun doing the turkey hokey pokey! Hey, it’s educational, it helps with learning right from left and following directions, plus it’s music & movement! Then we did the turkey baster transfer it was at the Holiday station. We measured 1 cup of water and poured it into a bowl. Using my turkey baster (which she has always loved to play with), she transferred the water to the other bowl. She did surprisingly well, too. In the end, we measured the water again. Low and behold, she had transferred exactly 1 cup of water! (math, fine motor skills)

Reading: We read another section of If You Sailed on the Mayflower in 1620. (social studies). We also took some time in the evening to just read for pleasure. This is one of our favorite things to do together, but during the school day, we seem to get too wrapped up just doing school.

No comments: