Friday, October 3, 2008

Homeschool Day 22 - Friday, Oct 3, 2008

Sorry for not posting any daily school lessons for the past few days. We have had school, but I got caught up in "the curriculum" again. It was a miserable two days for both of us. Anyway, I think I have regrouped and re-planned. Hopefully, I won't do that again!
With today being Friday, we did a mini-unit study on Katy and the Big Snow by Virginia Lee Burton.
First, we read the story. Then we discussed when it was published (1943). As we looked at the pictures I discussed how things are different now. (reading, language)
Shayla wrote our theme word "snow" on the board. She hasn't figured out how to allow herself enough room to write yet. I was impressed that she attempted to make a "w" by herself!
Then Shayla made this paper Katy. It's very...um...colorful!!!
For science, we read about other heavy equipment. We read a book called Big Wheels by Anne Rockwell. She liked it ok, but, I'm sure it would be a hit with boys!
Movement: We went through the house pretending to be a snow plow.
Art/Social Studies: We talked about the directions and a map key. We also named the different buildings in this collage she made of Katy and the buildings she dug out.
She also completed a maze page and a crayon resist of Katy's shape. We completed the day by reading all kinds of books about snow.

No comments: