Sunday, April 27, 2008

Heirloom Seeds

We plant a huge garden every year. I can about 600 quarts of produce from our garden each year. Several months ago, when I organized my pantry, I thought we would be downsizing our garden this year. It seemed that the only thing we really needed was tomato juice and peas. Then we heard about the worldwide food shortage. This, in addition to rising gas and grocery prices changed our minds. We have once again started the garden.

This year we purchased heirloom seeds. These seeds are more expensive, but you're supposed to be able to save the dried seeds for planting next year, and on and on. I've bought these in the past, and I'm ashamed to say, I got lazy. I did not save the seeds.

Does anyone have any experience with heirloom seeds. What's the best way to store them so they can be reused? Any suggestions?

No comments: