Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Prayer for the Lee Family

I met the Lee family at church several years ago. I have to say that Tammy was the living definition of Titus 2 and Proverbs 31 woman. She is a wonderful helpmeet to her husband, Andrew. She is always encouraging, cheerful, and patient. She raises all her children in the way of the Lord - all 8. She grows her hair and donates it to Locks of Love, she adopted several "special needs" children, and she sponsored a baby from Africa who was here to have surgery. The baby lived with her for months while she took her to all doctor appointments and helped her heal after surgery before sending her back home to her parents.

About a year ago, they found out their 15-yr-old son, Kevin, had leukemia and lymphoma. The medical doctors gave him a bone marrow transplant and did all they could. Last night we found out that the Lord did not choose to heal Kevin, but took him to his eternal home.

Tammy wrote this email to all those praying for her. I found it ironic that she seemed to be comforting and encouraging us. The faith that this family has is amazing.

Dear Friends,

Words cannot describe the emotions that we've gone through over the last
several days. I'll do my best to review our journey with you.

The weekend after the "big family meeting" was lived to the fullest! We
celebrated Maria's and Rebecca's birthdays on Saturday with all
grandparents in attendance. Sunday we had a Super Bowl party with dear
friends. We felt comfortable, despite Kevin's recent prognosis, for
Andrew to go home for a few days to work and take the boys to a couple
of their basketball games.

Our plans were abruptly changed on Tuesday when the doctors became very
concerned over Kevin's condition and his white blood count (WBC). The
WBC is supposed to be between 4.5 and 13.5. His was 80.9. Kevin
was admitted to the hospital, and I was told to call Andrew back to
Cincinnati. Our scheduled Thursday night might not be soon enough.
Andrew and the children returned late Tuesday night.

Wednesday was passed expecting that Kevin might die yet that day. The
thoughts and emotions that day were varied and intense. Will I still
love God if Kevin's suffering is to end in death? Have I adequately
prepared my son for death? Can I praise God enough if Kevin's suffering
is to end in a miracle? Will this miracle forever impact our family's
witness for Him? Or will it be soon forgotten? Needless to say it was
a night of anguished conversation with my Father. Do you know how He
answered? He sent that peace that passes all understanding. Yes, I've
had God's peace that Kevin knows Him and that He is carrying us through
this trial... But THIS peace was a very tangible thing. It wrapped
itself around me like a blanket. By dawn I was completely at peace
(i.e. no tense stomach muscles, no sore jaw from clenching my
teeth...nothing!) to sit there and watch Kevin be healed or to watch him
enter his reward in heaven.

Now let's move 15 miles east of the hospital. That very same night God
met Andrew at the apartment too! That's omnipresence at work, right?!
His peace came via a dream. The funny thing is that Andrew had just
recently commented that he wished God spoke to him in dreams like He
does one of our daughters!! How incredible is that?!!

Okay put these 2 experiences together with the fact that Kevin's WBC is
now 103.0. We thought we knew for sure that Kevin would die that day.
But no, he actually seemed to feel a little better by evening. His
breathing was easier and his pain had diminished! PTL!

Then comes Friday morning. Around 6 a.m. Kevin had a nosebleed even
though he's not had one for more than a week. It lasted about 2
hours...not hugely unusual. But this nosebleed had a different quality
to it...a very scary quality. I sat there, completely at peace,
expecting my son to bleed to death before my very eyes. (I did think of
Mary as she had to watch her Son suffer, bleed, and die.) The
nosebleeds continued throughout the afternoon but ended shortly after
the prayer chain had been contacted. Again, PTL! And thank you to
those of you who are earnestly praying at a moment's notice. AND his
WBC was 69.4!

Then comes Saturday and a new revelation from God. I may only see 2
ways out of this suffering...a miracle or death. But the revelation is
that God may not yet be through with this season of suffering. Now THAT
is a hard one to get my mind around. Isn't it enough that I'm willing
to let him die? But now my prayers for Kevin and my family have
returned to what they've been all along. Lord please give us the
patience and endurance required to withstand this test. May we
honor You in how we handle these trials. Oh, and by the way, his WBC is
now 31.2!

Sunday...9.5!

Monday...4.0!

Okay today I had to clarify a few things in rounds. The doctors had
given Kevin one medicine that would not cure the cancer or even make it
better, but they hoped it would slow the growth of the WBC or maybe even
stop the growth. I had to ask if they expected this drop in his WBC.
And no they did not! There is nothing to explain this aside from the
power of God! Thank you, thank you, thank you God!!!!!

Now I want you to know that this battle is not over, nor do we know how
it will end. But our intent is to live each day expecting a miracle and
praising God for whatever He sends!

I'm sure you've read way more than you've wanted if you've made it this
far in my ramblings. But my hope and prayer is that God can in some way
encourage your heart to continue to come to Him in praise because of
what He's doing in our lives.

I want to leave you with 2 passages:

"Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication
with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the
peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts
and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things
are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just,
whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever
things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any
praise, think on these things." Philippians 4:6-8 (KJV)

"Spread for me a banquet of praise, serve High God a feast of kept
promises, and call for help when you're in trouble -- I'll help you, and
you'll honor me." Psalm 50:14-15 (The Message)

Taking God at His Word,

Tammy

No comments: